Saturday, March 25, 2006

Reality TV never got this real... up to date! (edit)


Curiosity struck me out of nowhere. I suddenly wondered how the Idol franchise is done in other countries. And I decided to watch a results show of Indian Idol. It was only supposed to be contestants promoting a product, hosts chit-chatting with the judges, announcing the contestant who gets the boot later. A video would then be played paying tribute to how far the eliminated contender has come, then he would sing one final song. A modification of this was audiences booing to the outcome. I thought the audience could reach only up to that point. But no.

Amey Date was voted off, and the judges didn't handle it well. They walked out of their seats and went straight to their dressing room. While that happened, some of the audience started roaring, "Amey! Amey!" while most of them gathered at the exit, where people blocked them. Hosts begged the audience to sit down. One of them went to the judges to bring them back to stage. One judge wanted the producers to give the contestants a rematch. A relative of a contestant held a mic, saying that it was unfair for his relative contestant. Date finally tames the crowd by saying he won't sing at the rematch and he accepts the results. One judge promised him to give him a singing career. Then a host said that this should serve as a wake-up call for India. that they should vote next time.

What I found funny was that the contestants sounded the same when they were singing. Their appearances also had resemblances, but still, some of them had to stand out. Amey sure did, but his fans didn't vote enough. I saw reality TV unveil reality before my eyes. It made me excited for the Philippine Idol. Watch out for me. Hahaha. I just found out that the show's going to be aired July 2006! I am so freakin' excited!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home