Thursday, August 03, 2006

Jinkies!

Last Tuesday, I watched Ang Aksidenteng Kamatayan ng Isang Anarkista along with my schoolmates at the Rizal Mini Theater. No doubt it's a nice play, having a blast seeing our Filipino teachers show what they got besides Filipino fluency.

I saw a guy in the entrance sporting a mohawk. I want, I want! Ayaw ni Dad. :P

The film viewing was to serve as a guide for the Filipino play-making contest in our school. While I was looking inside the theater, I was looking at the people involved in the play, the musicians, the ushers, all of them. Then, I saw this guy wearing the same black Hong Kong shirt that I have. You see, I have a bittersweet memory with that shirt.

I wore that shirt for our class book talk during first year (section E), a contest wherein each class will promote a book. The book that our class promoted was C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew. Our teacher criticized our performance afterwards, and she pointed out my shirt, saying it was anachronistic of me to wear it while entering a magical world, and my diction of magic in the song, I Wanna Make Magic (too solid 'i'). Still, she told us to cross our fingers. Surprisingly, John texted me (I was sick and absent) the next week that Mrs. Santillan, our moderator Ms. Buen then, had told our class made it to the finals. I thought after polishing our act up, our class was going to win, but I ended up being more dissappointed in our final performance. It was raining hard, our voices were hard to hear, we got lost in setting up, and we eventually lost. Dinamdam ko talaga siya. I felt I led our class horribly.

I started looking back at that event in a positive way again during our sabayang pagbigkas
of the same school year. Our Filipino teacher, Mr. Lacson, told us that they were bilib in our class for making it that far in the class book talk, without much support from our moderator who was frequently absent. We eventually won third place in the sabpag, with the lead of Mico and Obed this time. The next year, my new classmates started finding out that I was that I Wanna Make Magic guy. Medyo pinagkalat pa ni<a href="http://iganhinhin.multiply.com>Ian</a> ako 'yun. They were smiling when they found out. Either they were finding it cool that I was that guy in the book talk or laughing deep inside that I was that guy in the book talk.

I really don't believe in signs. When we rehearsed for the elimination round of book talk, it rained. When we rehearsed for the final round of book talk, it also rained. The second raining didn't mean showering of blessing for our class that time. When I saw that shirt, I thought about what would happen in our Filipino play. I'm not sure that my class is going to win or lose, but in seeing the shirt, feeling ko talaga, may kababalaghang mangyayari sa dula namin ngayong taon. Jinkies!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home